May Day is almost here! Celebrated on May 1st, the holiday is thought to have originated in Roman times as a festival of flowers.
One of the most common customs for celebrating this day is by making small baskets filled with flowers and even a few treats to share with friends and neighbors.
Traditional May Day baskets are easy to make at home with just a few supplies.
Gather up the following:
- A full sheet (at least 8 1/2 x11) of spring colored or patterned paper
- Tape and/or a stapler
- Flowers, candy or other trinkets to fill the basket
And follow these steps:
- Draw a 6-8" quarter circle on the paper. A plate or lid makes a great template! Using the scissors, cut the shape from the paper.
- Roll together into a cone shape and tape to hold in place.
- Cut a 10-12" strip of paper for the handle. Staple each end to opposite sides of the cone.
- Fill the cone with flowers and treats before delivering to a neighbor.
The most fun part of this May Day tradition is that the baskets are delivered anonymously … just place the basket on the doorknob, ring the doorbell or knock and then run and hide as you wait for the recipient to find the basket!