I love when strawberries are in season. While picking them at the farm, mixing them in salads and dipping them in chocolate are just three of the many ways I love to eat them. But one of my favorite desserts is Strawberry Upside Down Cake. It is so simple and sooooooo yummy.
- 2 cups crushed fresh strawberries. I mash mine with a potato masher
- 1 package of strawberry flavored Jell-O (6 0z)
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 yellow cake mix (18 oz) prepared as directed on package (I use Duncan Hines)
- Whipped cream or ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread crushed strawberries on the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan. Evenly sprinkle strawberries with the dry gelatin powder, and top with mini marshmallows.
- Prepare the cake mix as directed on the package, and pour on top of the marshmallows.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 to 50 minutes. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Run a knife around the pan to loosen the sides, and turn the cake out onto a serving tray. Top with whipped cream or ice cream. Store cake in the refrigerator.
**Baking tips: use a rectangular cake pan for best results. Do not use frozen strawberries.