Dreaming of the beach and building sandcastles as a family? Even if you don't live near the beach, you can recreate that beach feeling and the fun of building sandcastles with this project!
What you need:
- A large flat rock (You could also use a sturdy piece of cardboard or foam board, but we like the rustic look of the rock!)
- Empty paper towel or toilet paper rolls
- White craft glue
- Flags, toothpicks, scrap paper, ribbons, beads, glitter..use your imagination!...for embellishments
- Shallow box (You can do this craft right in the sandbox if you have one for a more authentic feel, but if you don't, simply pour some sand into a shallow box.)
What you do:
- Carefully cut the rolls to different tower heights. We used three in the sandcastle pictured.
- Cut notches to make turrets in the top of each roll
- Cut slits about 3/4 of an inch deep in the bottom of each roll, about seven in all. These will become the "feet" to glue to your rock.
- Draw windows or doors, being careful not to go below the bottom slits
- Apply glue to the entire roll, everywhere except to windows and doors
- Now roll it in the sand…for some added "bling," sprinkle some glitter in the sand!
- Fold the slits toward the outside on the bottom (so they look like above photo)
- Apply glue to bottom and affix to rock
- Spread lots of glue around the base of your castle and pour sand on it
- Finish by embellishing your castle with flags, ribbon, beads, etc.
Ahhh! Can't you feel the ocean breeze and hear the seagulls now?