Every year, some friends of ours have a huge Fourth of July get together. We eat, swim, and eat some more! Everyone brings a dish or two, and there is more food than we can ever eat -- but we try! I usually make sweets or some other treat, but last year all I could think about was watermelon that hot summer day. I decided to dress plain ol' watermelon slices up a little bit!
What you'll need:
- Star cookie cutters, multiple sizes
- 1 medium-sized watermelon
- Blueberries, for garnish
What you'll do:
- Start by slicing the watermelon into discs about 3/4" thick.
- Press the cookie cutters into the watermelon discs to cut out star shapes. Your kiddos can help with this step! (If you aren't planning on serving the stars right away, you can stick them in the freezer to firm them up, but they will need to be eaten quickly after you remove them from the freezer or they get soggy.)
- Arrange the stars on a festive plate, platter, or tray.
- Garnish with blueberries.