Making it at home is easy and inexpensive. I came across a recipe and adapted it so that it comes out just the way my kids like it! It isn't exactly like the store bought kind, but it is a close second. Best of all, the ingredients are 100% edible (not too tasty though), which makes it safe for curious toddlers to play with.
- 4-5 c. flour
- 1 c. cooking oil
- 1-2 tsp food coloring
- Spices (for scents) ~ optional
- flavored oils (for scents) ~ optional
- Whisk oil, food coloring and flavoring together in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix flour and spices
- To the oil mixture, add two cups of flour and mix well. You can also use a mixer.
- Add flour 1/2 cup at a time until mixed thoroughly, until you reach your desired texture. I like it when it sticks together in a ball, but still crumbles when squished.
- Store in a shoe box size plastic container.
We like to play with this outside on the deck for easy clean up, or on cooler days place a sheet on the floor while playing. The more the dough is played with the better the texture becomes.
Fun fall Scents:
Apple: Apple Pie Spice and Imitation Apple Flavoring
Pumpkin: Pumpkin Pie Spice and Pumpkin Spice Extract
Licorice: Anais extract