It's a fact that kids love to play with sand. It's also a fact they love to play with the expensive magic sand that you can buy at the toy store. I have to admit, I enjoy playing with it too, but I'd enjoy it a lot more if I didn't have to pay the high prices!
Making it at home is easy and inexpensive. I came across a recipe and adapted it so that it comes out just the way my kids like it! It isn't exactly like the store bought kind, but it is a close second. Best of all, the ingredients are 100% edible (not too tasty though), which makes it safe for curious toddlers (and kids of all ages!) to play with.
What you need:
- 4-5 c. flour
- 1 c. cooking oil
- 1-2 tsp food coloring - optional
- Spices (for scents) - optional
- Flavored oils (for scents) - optional
What you do:
- Whisk oil, food coloring and flavoring together in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix flour and spices
- To the oil mixture, add two cups of flour and mix well. You can also use a mixer.
- Add flour 1/2 cup at a time until mixed thoroughly, until you reach your desired texture. I like it when it sticks together in a ball, but still crumbles when squished.
- Store in a shoe box size plastic container.
We like to play with this outside on the deck for easy clean up, or on cooler days place a sheet on the floor while playing. The more the dough is played with the better the texture becomes.
For even more fun, add food coloring or scents to your moon dough. We came up with a few suggestions for you. Which one is your favorite?
- Apple Pie Spice and Imitation Apple Flavoring
- Pumpkin Pie Spice and Pumpkin Spice Extract
- Anais extract (Licorice)