- Your favorite boxed cake mix (we used lemon)
- Your favorite white frosting
- 24 marshmallows
- Candy eyes (or small candies or chocolate chips)
- Green cupcake liners
- Green food coloring
- Black or red writing gel
- Fruit strip (optional)
- Prepare your cake mix according to box directions, adding a few drops of green food coloring to get desired color. Bake and let cool completely.
- While cupcakes are baking, prepare your frosting by mixing in desired amount of green food coloring.
- Using a pair of kitchen shears, cut your marshmallows in half. The exposed marshmallow will be sticky, use this area to adhere the candy eyes. If they won't stick, you can add a tiny dab of frosting to the back of the candy eyes. Lay these out on a paper plate to dry while the cupcakes bake and cool.
- Also using kitchen shears, cut the fruit strip into small pieces to use as tongues.
- Once cupcakes are completely cooled, frost them using an offset spatula or butter knife. Then place two of the marshmallow eyes upright in the center of the cupcake, pushing them together. You may need to add a small amount or frosting between the marshmallows to make them stick together. Then draw a mouth beneath the eyes using writing gel, and stick the fruit strip to the mouth.