3. When scooping out the inside, consider saving the seeds. They make a healthy treat!
4. It's easier to scoop out the insides with an ice cream scoop. Make sure the walls are clean and about 1 inch thick.
5. Start with simple designs before moving on to advanced designs.
6. Templates are perfect for creating designs. Tape your template to your pumpkin to make it easier to follow the design. You can also use a pin to puncture holes along the design and then use a sharp tool to connect the dots.
7. You can line the inside of your pumpkin and around the design with petroleum jelly. This will keep the pumpkin fresh for longer and prevent mold.
8. If you are going to use a candle to illuminate your pumpkin, consider putting a hole in the top of your lid to act as a chimney. Remember never leave a candle burning unattended.
9. Consider using flameless candles. With dry leaves and trick-or-treaters an open flame could lead to disaster.
10. Coat the inside of your lid with cinnamon or nutmeg to create a fall aroma.