Xcel Energy is back with its 11th annual Day of Service in Colorado, and they invite you and your family to join in! Day of Service began in 2010 to honor the anniversary of September 11 and has grown to be Xcel Energy's largest single-day company volunteer effort. This year's Day of Service is September 9th through 11th, and there is a mix of in-person and remote volunteer projects to choose from.
Xcel Energy employees, their family and friends, and the community are invited to participate, so choose a project or projects (yes, you can sign up for in-person and take home projects) that work with your schedule and comfort level!
Safety is a priority. Volunteers must adhere to safety guidelines, as well as CDC, state, and local mandates.
Some of the local projects include the following opportunities:
- Downtown Aurora Visual Arts (DAVA) | Sept 11 - Volunteers will help DAVA staff members sort and organize art supplies, touch up paint, pick up trash outside of the facility and help with landscaping and refresh mulch.
- Ready to Work Aurora | Sept 11 - Volunteers will assist with annual fall clean up of the building grounds.
- Metro Caring | Sept 10 - Volunteers will sort donations and pack food boxes in the warehouse or will work oustide in the community gardens.
- Bluff Lake Nature Center | Sept 11 - Volunteers will work on returning an old maintenance road to its natural state and other restoration projects.
- Veteran Hygiene Kit Build/Veteran Ribbons/Civic Center Park Clean Up | Sept 11 - Volunteers will rotate between various stations to build hygiene kits, assemble veteran ribbons and help with a variety of beautification projects at Civic Center Park.
- Mile Hi United Way | Sept 11 - Volunteers will work on a series of mini-projects that include cleaning & organizing the Volunteer Center, packing kits and making no sew blankets.
- Colorado Feeding Kids | Sept 10 - Volunteers will pack meals that will be distributed to local food banks, schools and organizations in Colorado that feed children and families in Colorado.
- Higher Ground Healing | Sept 11 - Volunteers will help with a variety of projects including tree trimming, chipping, cleaning pastures and painting fences.
- Denver Audubon | Sept 11 - Volunteers will help clean up the site to prepare for the annual HOOTenanny Owl Festival. Volunteers will help with weeding, gardening, cleaning/trimming the trails, and removing flagstone.
For even more projects, visit xcelenergydos.ivolunteer.com.
Put Good Energy into Action
Due to safety precautions, Xcel Energy is unable to host large-scale volunteer projects this year. But with the Good Energy Pledge, you can still give back to your community!
Complete the form, download the pledge and you will be entered into a drawing where Xcel will randomly select two winners to receive $500 to donate to a Day of Service nonprofit of their choice.
More information and to download The Good Energy Pledge, click here.
Take-Home Community Projects
To sign up for a project, visit xcelenergydos.ivolunteer.com. Designated pick-up sites will be available across the Xcel service territory.
The following projects are already full to capacity. Check the website for an update on availability and/or to join the waitlist.
- Meal Delivery Bags | Sept 9 - Decorate meal bags at home. Pick up supplies from a designated Day of Service Pop-Up Project Site on September 9 to decorate paper bags that will be used by Project Angel Heart for meal deliveries to people living with life-threatening illnesses.
- Hygiene Kits | Sept 9th through 11th - Assemble hygiene kits at home. Pick up supplies from a designated Day of Service Pop-Up Project Site on September 9 to assemble hygiene kits for vulnerable population in Colorado.
Day of Service Bingo
Complete a variety of do-good activities at your own pace.
Share your bingo card on social media by tagging @xcelenergyCO and using the hashtag #XEDOS. Get your bingo card HERE.
Sign up as soon as possible because spots fill up quickly!
Looking for other projects? Visit http://xcelenergydos.ivolunteer.com for a complete list.
No matter what you do, your time and talent will make a difference.
Day of Service Safety Message (8.23.21): Safety is Xcel Energy’s top priority. In-person volunteering for Day of Service will be available to employees, their family and friends, retirees and contractors. Members of the public in Colorado and Minnesota may also participate. We encourage all Day of Service volunteers to be fully vaccinated. Those who are not fully vaccinated may register to volunteer, understanding they will need to comply with federal and state public health recommendations, including wearing a face covering and social distancing. At indoor events, all volunteers are required to wear facial coverings (regardless of vaccination status) based on CDC guidance. If possible, maintain at least 6 feet distance from others. All children ages 2 and older who are not fully vaccinated should wear facial coverings indoors and outdoors. These rules may change, and we will update you regarding requirements for your Day of Service event. Volunteers should also check themselves for any symptoms of COVID-19 prior to their respective volunteer project. If you test positive for COVID-19; have COVID-19 symptoms; are presumed positive by a medical professional; or feel sick for any reason, please stay home. We are also closely monitoring the Delta variant of the coronavirus. In the event local/state/federal government entities enact safety mandates (i.e., mask wearing regardless of vaccination status), all volunteers must follow these guidelines. Ensuring the welfare of our employees and other groups associated with Day of Service is paramount. If hospitalization rates and/or cases continue to climb, we may cancel all activities in the best interest of employee safety, health and wellness with little notice.