National Compliment Day is January 24th. Are you ready?
I don't know a single person who couldn't use a bit of a confidence boost now and then. I personally try to throw around compliments everyday like they are confetti, but I love that there is a day to remind us how powerful a compliment can be. It is well documented that giving or getting even a small, sincere compliment can improve a person's health and mood instantly, put a smile on their face, validate them, and can even change the course of their life.
Yes, they are THAT important.
com · pli · ment (verb) - politely express praise or admiration to someone personally. - Merriam-Webster Dictionary
So, who should you compliment? The short answer is anyone and everyone! Compliment your family, your spouse, your kids, friends, teachers, employees, bosses, volunteers, receptionists, baristas, cashiers, servers, and even strangers. There are so many opportunities to make someone feel good every day.
And what should you say? Well, there are a ton of compliment options. The key is to choose one that is honest and sincere. Unique is a bonus. But don't stress about finding the perfect compliment... odds are that anything you say will be perfect to the person you are complimenting.
A few easy compliment ideas
Be sure to choose a compliment that reflects the person that you are complimenting. You can even personalize these to fit just right.
- I appreciate you.
- The world would be a better place if more people were like you.
- Your outfit is slammin' today.
- You have the best laugh.
- Your smile is contagious.
- I can tell that you worked really hard on that.
- You are one of the kindest people I know.
- I love your style.
- You are awesome at figuring things out.
- I am really proud of you.
- You are an amazing example to others.
- You always make me laugh.
- You are more helpful than you know.
- Hanging out with you is so fun.
- You always know the right things to say.
- Your glasses are so cool.
- That color is perfect on you.
- You are an incredible person.
- I love your necklace.
- Seeing you makes me happy.
My favorite things about compliments
- They are 100% free to give.
- They are easy to give. There is no prep involved in giving a compliment.
- They can be big or small.
- People of all ages can give (and receive!) a compliment.
- They can make a difference to someone's day.
- They can make a difference to someone's life.
- They not only make the receiver feel great, they make the giver feel good, too.
Ways to celebrate National Compliment Day
- Teach your children what it means to compliment someone.
- Make a list of easy compliments that you can use. After awhile, it will become second nature.
- Make a list of people in your life who you can compliment.
- Make a game out of it. Compete with your kids to see who can give the most compliments throughout the day.
- Or, challenge yourself to give out a certain number of compliments on the 24th.
- Go around the table at dinner and share the best compliment that you have ever received and why it was your favorite.
- Put a compliment in your children's lunchboxes.
- Make a special trip to give a compliment to someone you might not see that day.
- Make compliment cards to hand out... these can really help children who are anxious about talking to people. Just write your compliment on an index card and decorate it.
No matter how you choose to celebrate, be sure to give out a few compliments on National Compliment Day. You might be surprised how much of a difference it makes to the people around you... and yourself.
BONUS: Keep the compliments coming... World Compliment Day is March 1st!