October 1 is an important date in the world of college or career school bound students and families.
In a typical year, it's the date when the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form opens for the upcoming school year. However, there are major changes and improvements coming to the 2024/2025 FAFSA®. That means that, for this year only, the FAFSA® launches later. The good news is that these changes could mean expanded eligibility for federal student aid and a more streamlined application process!
The new 2024/2025 FAFSA® form will be available in December 2023, not October 1.
What is the FAFSA®?
To apply for federal student aid, such as federal grants, work-study, and loans, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form. Completing and submitting the FAFSA® form is free and relatively easy, and it gives students access to the largest source of financial aid to pay for college or career school.
In addition, many states and colleges use your FAFSA® information to determine your eligibility for state and school aid, and some private financial aid providers may use your FAFSA® information to determine whether you qualify for their aid.
Stay up-to-date on this year's FAFSA®
- Did you fill out a FAFSA® form for 2023/2024?
- Once the exact FAFSA® launch date is announced, an email will be sent to students (and parents of dependent students) who applied on the 2023/2024 form, reminding them to apply for 2024/2025.
- Log in to your StudentAid.gov account and be sure that your email address is current.
- Didn’t submit a 2023/2024 FAFSA® form?
- Make sure to create your StudentAid.gov account. You'll need one to fill out the 2024/2025 FAFSA®.
- Follow Federal Student Aid on social media for up to the minute announcements and resources.